Upgrading to a <span class="highlight">Family</span> <span class="highlight">tent</span> - Advice required

Submitted: Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 08:01
ThreadID: 90412 Views:6124 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G-Day all,

As per the subject, im looking into upgrading from a 2m (4m) tent to a family tent. I'm looking at getting advice really on what im looking at. I want a canvas cabin tent as I believe these are the best and if looked after, will last until our kids will no longer be camping with us.

I like this - link to oztrail tent

I mainly like the design. Its perfect for a family IMO. But the brand I believe is questionable. After much searching on the net I cannot confirm either way.

Whats everyones experience and recommendations.

Again - must comfortably sleep 2A and 2+C, Must be weather proof, quality and likely to last a long long time with care and preferably with a similar design to the above
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andoland - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:58

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:58
We had one of these cabin type tents when I was a kid and my memory of it was that it was big, heavy, took a long time to put up and leaked in heavy rain. I'm sure the leaking is not because of the type of tent, but the other aspects still remain true. I note on the oztent website that smallest cabin tent weighs 47kg!!

We have a blackwolf turbo 300 for out family of four. Your link did not work for me so I couldn't tell what size you are looking at but the turbo 300 at 3m x 3m has has slightly larger floor area than the oztent 10x8 but weighs half as much.

While the standard blackwolf does not have a large awning you can get one called the superfly which is looks to be about the same as the oztent cabin tent awning.

Otherwise there are lots of dome-type tents that will be considerably lighter and considerably cheaper than the cabin style canvas tents.

Cheers
Ando

AnswerID: 471537

Follow Up By: Johnny_K - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:11

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:11
Hi Ando,

THanks for your response. TBH, I dont mind the time it takes to get these things going and the weight. To me thats part of camping. Really what's important is the space, quality for $$ and durability.

This particular tent i like most is the layout, to me that layout is perfect.

Johnny
FollowupID: 746179

Follow Up By: andoland - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:16

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:16
No worries Johnny. What's most important is that you get what suits you and I wasn't sure if you had all the information but it seems you are making an informed decision.

Ando
FollowupID: 746180

Follow Up By: Johnny_K - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:18

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:18
Yeah well I have to try look like i know what im talking about if i plan on getting the purchase approved by the boss :-)
FollowupID: 746181

Reply By: Dede1 - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:20

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:20
Johhny-K

We have one of these tents its huge and includes the sunroom. We bought it second hand from friends - it is now over 25 years old. I can't remember the brand its yellow walls and brown I think. The door zip to the main tent needs repair (still works) its in fantastic condition.

Yes it takes about 1/2 hour to put up, takes up two tent bags (when using sunroom) and a bag of poles and is heavy, but the room is fantastic. We have been stuck in some torrential downpours and not a single leak, we have been through some amazing wind (Portland) and no problems. Its sitting in our store room waiting for a new home as we have upgraded to a caravan.

I would not recommend this tent for a quick weekend trip as the putting up and packing up is a pain, but then again its not the tent thats the pain its all the gear that you bring into, take out of the tent.

Highly recommend these types of tents and can vouch they will last through your children's camping life.
Going cheap!!! in Victoria no digital photos but hard photos I can scan.
AnswerID: 471538

Reply By: Ron173 - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:42

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:42
2 words - Black Wolf
AnswerID: 471549

Reply By: Johnny_K - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:05

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:05
Sorry the link doesnt work. Try http://www.campingcentral.com.au/products/OZtrail-Chateau-10-Canvas-Cabin-Family-Tent.html

Its the Chateau 10
AnswerID: 471555

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:36

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 13:36
Looks ok, but the big question for me would be whats it like in adverse weather?

Most of us camp in summer which is storm season too,
I've seen some tents destroyed by wind in a very short space of time.

Do some digging on here on black wolf tent and wind, couple of posts of blokes in storms, last thing standing.

I have the canvas 300 turbo, goes up in a flash, big enough to bring all gear inside, and been in a sizeable storm personally where other camps were trashed, after it passed, I went out n all I had to do was tighten a guy line or two.

All tents look good in catalogues n shop floors, but will your family be safe if it turns ugly? Choose very carefully.
FollowupID: 746183

Follow Up By: Dede1 - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 14:36

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 14:36
Looks huge. Are you going to free camp or caravan parks. If the latter will it actually fit on a site???
FollowupID: 746189

Follow Up By: Johnny_K - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 17:58

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 17:58
Bit of both. From the caravan/camp sites i have been to. Shouldn't be an issue. Maybe the Chateau 12 might be
FollowupID: 746210

Reply By: Pebble - Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 19:24

Friday, Dec 02, 2011 at 19:24
It sounds like you're probably after a tent with heaps of room that you're likely to set up once and then stay in that place for a week or two?

If that wasn't the case though I'd consider those single pole touring tents, or some of the other styles of touring tents people are suggesting.

We have a Outdoor Connection Cooper (used on one short trip and one longer trip (2.5wks) so far. It fits two adults and two kids, but probably for not much more than just sleeping. However we're considering getting a 2nd one for the kids because it's really quick and easy to set up and we found ourselves not wanting to set up the kids tent (3 man hiking tent that isn't exactly hard to set up but has a separate fly and a heap more pegs compared to the touring tent).

Anyway just food for though, I reckon the cabin tents would trump the touring tents for space especially if you're the sort of person who picks a destination and sets up base camp there for a week or more. But if you do need quick overnights as well, I reckon several touring tents would probably be quicker and easier than one cabin tent. Perhaps giving a bit more flexibility on tricky campsites too.
AnswerID: 471575

Follow Up By: Johnny_K - Sunday, Dec 04, 2011 at 18:39

Sunday, Dec 04, 2011 at 18:39
Hey,

The idea is for long stays, and in the future. If we choose to go for short o'night/weekend stays i would make do with our smaller tent.

I guess i have already decided on the style (canvas cabin tent), i guess what i really want out of this thread is to find the brand.

Oztrail, i had thought was a good brand, the problem i have is tents this size are hard to find erect.
FollowupID: 746383

Follow Up By: Pebble - Monday, Dec 05, 2011 at 12:08

Monday, Dec 05, 2011 at 12:08
Yes particularly as the camping stores also rotate to some extent the ones they have up on display. I do recall seeing a cabin tent up on display once but I don't remember what brand it was.

In my opinion Oztrail seems to be a pretty good brand for the price you pay. Most people seem to say that Aussie brands are the best ones to go for when it comes to canvas though. I guess it depends on how often you will use it and how much you want to spend too.
FollowupID: 746447

Reply By: GREENDOG ! - Monday, Dec 05, 2011 at 18:26

Monday, Dec 05, 2011 at 18:26
Hay mate we have the exact tent you are after OZtrail Family tent big enough for you,only been used once it's in the shed in the bag,do some thinking mate if you are interested let us know. greendog14@live.com. cheer's GD
AnswerID: 471749

Sponsored Links